Full text of Empress Masako's Impressions on Her 58th Birthday

 


 (The main article is here.)

On the occasion of her 58th birthday on December 9, Her Majesty the Empress Masako announced her impressions through the Imperial Household Agency.


 I am grateful that I was able to celebrate another birthday this year.

 

I would also like to express my heartfelt gratitude for the warm blessings I received from so many people as my daughter, Aiko, reached the age of majority earlier this month.

 

The twenty years since Aiko was born seem to have been both long and fleeting, but I am deeply moved by the many memories that come to mind. At the same time, it is hard to believe that the young Aiko is already an adult.

 

I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has warmly watched over Aiko's growth. I hope that Aiko will continue to grow step by step as she accumulates various experiences, and that she will be able to successfully fulfill her duties as an adult member of the Imperial Family. I would be grateful if you could continue to warmly watch over Aiko.

 

This year, like last year, we have been hit by the disaster of the new coronavirus infection. It has been a very heartbreaking year, with many people dying in Japan and around the world. My heart goes out to those who lost their loved ones suddenly due to the new coronavirus infection.

 

I would also like to express my heartfelt sympathy to those who are still battling the disease and suffering from the aftereffects. At the same time, I am concerned about the long and arduous work of the medical personnel who have been engaged in the treatment of the new coronavirus infection since last year, and how much their physical and mental fatigue has increased.

 

Fortunately, as a result of the concerted efforts of many people, the number of infected and seriously ill people in our country has calmed down. On the other hand, the situation still remains unpredictable due to the increasing number of infected people overseas and the emergence of new mutant strains that we should be concerned about, and I feel the need for everyone to continue to work together to take all possible measures and make all possible efforts.

 

I hope that further efforts will be made both inside and outside Japan to overcome the new coronavirus infection, including research and development of vaccines and treatment methods, and that the people of Japan and the world will be able to steadily overcome this ordeal, even if it is step by step.

 

With the spread of the new coronavirus infection, the environment surrounding us has changed dramatically. This year has been another year of hardship for many people. It is especially heartbreaking to see so many people facing economic and social hardships. It is reported that the number of suicides among working women increased by about 30%, and the number of suicides among elementary, junior high and high school students reached a record high. I feel that this problem is caused by the fact that it is now difficult for people to come into contact with each other and it is easy to feel lonely.

 

As the spread of the new coronavirus infection has had a major impact on socio-economic activities, it is heartbreaking to hear that many people are facing various hardships, such as reduced income and abandonment of higher education. I hope that we can create a society in which we can all care for and support each other more than ever before, so that we can easily consult with those around us and visit our local support centers, so that sad and tragic events such as people taking their own lives will be prevented as much as possible.

 

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake.

Looking back over the past ten years, I am sure that many of you have renewed your deep sorrow. I myself have had many opportunities to recall the difficult situation at the time of the earthquake. In addition, 10 years after the earthquake, I have had the opportunity to see the reconstruction of Iwate, Miyagi, and Fukushima prefectures online and to talk with the people who were affected by the disaster. My heart aches for them. I hope that His Majesty and I will continue to extend our heartfelt sympathy to the people in the disaster areas.

 

And this year, unfortunately, natural disasters such as torrential rains occurred in various places.

The torrential rains in July and August recorded the highest amount of rainfall in the history of observation in many areas, and it was tragic that many people died or went missing, especially in Atami City, Shizuoka Prefecture. I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to those who lost their lives and my deepest sympathy to the bereaved families and the victims of the disaster.

 

Looking at the world, disasters that are thought to be caused by climate change are increasing, and it is expected that countermeasures will become increasingly important in the future. In this context, I think it is very significant that Dr. Yoshiro Manabe, who developed the climate model used to predict global warming, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics this year.

 

I am pleased to see that Mr. Manabe's research has been highly evaluated, as it has led to the spread of awareness that global environmental issues are related to the survival of future generations, and that the awareness and actions of each and every one of us living today will have a significant impact on the future of the global environment. I myself studied a little bit of energy economics when I was in college, and I was also involved in environmental issues including climate change when I was working before I got married, so I am deeply impressed by the importance of climate change and global environmental issues every day.

This summer, the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games were held in Japan.

I am relieved that the Games ended successfully, even though the participating athletes and officials had to face the difficult challenge of the spread of the new coronavirus infection. I watched both the Olympic and Paralympic Games on TV, and I was impressed by the sight of athletes putting forth their best efforts to compete despite the various restrictions imposed by the coronavirus, and the sight of athletes from different countries praising each other's good performance.

 

I also believe that the Japanese athletes did a wonderful job, and many people shared their excitement. I would like to express my respect for the efforts of the athletes who continued to work hard under the difficult circumstances of the spread of the new coronavirus infection, the coaches and staff who supported the athletes, and the management staff, volunteers, medical personnel, security personnel, and many others who supported the implementation of the Games. I would like to thank all of them.

 

In the field of sports, Shohei Ohtani, who is a two-way pitcher and the second Japanese player to be elected MVP of Major League Baseball this fall, has given courage and hope to many people.

 

As for myself, for the second time this year, I was able to be involved in all the work of silkworm rearing, such as silkworm feeding, silkworm cocooning, cocoon poking, cocoon cutting, and seeding, from May to June. I am happy and grateful that I could finish this year successfully with the help of the chief of the silkworm farm and others. I am looking forward to raising silkworms and working with them again next year.

 

In September, I will be moving to the Fukiage area of the Imperial Palace, where Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress have lived for a long time. Although I felt a sense of sadness at leaving the land of Akasaka, which I have been accustomed to living in for many years, I am grateful that I have been able to start my new life in Fukiage, a place rich in nature. I would like to express my gratitude to Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress for their warm support during the renovation of the Fukiage Palace and until our relocation.

 

I would also like to express my gratitude to the many people who have helped me in Akasaka and to all those who have contributed to my move to the Imperial Palace.

 

I know that it continues to be difficult for Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress to go outside due to the effects of the new coronavirus infection, but I sincerely hope that you will take good care of yourselves and stay in good health. I pray that the renovation of the Sento Palace in Akasaka will go smoothly and that you will be able to move in at a reasonable time. I would like to thank you again for the warm support you have shown to us and Aiko.

 

I am most grateful to His Majesty the Emperor for his continued good health despite his busy schedule in the midst of the Corona disaster. I would also like to express my deepest gratitude for your constant concern for my health. I will continue to make every effort to recover my health so that I can continue to support His Majesty and fulfill my own duties.

 

I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere gratitude for the warm feelings that the people of Japan have shown me on a daily basis. I also sincerely hope that the new coronavirus infection will be brought under control, and that the people of Japan will pull together to overcome this difficult situation and that the day will come soon when all people can live in peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kei Komuro Listed at Major U.S. Law Firm :There are Also Allegations of Career Fraud

Kei Komuro Receives "JFK Award": a New Allegation of Career Fraud?

Kei Komuro's Mother Criminally Charged with Fraud

What is Kei Komuro's Debt Problem

Classmate Bullying by Komuro

US to Pay for Mako and Kei's Security in the US, Japan Reports

Reported Scandals: The Japanese Will Never Accept Komuro

Mako Komuro and Kei Attend Funeral of Mako's grandfather with Akishino Family

Kei Komuro Fails NY State Bar Exam?

Former fiancée of Kei Komuro's mother releases comments: "I've asked Kei to convey her own wishes..."