Full text of Emperor Naruhito's 62nd Birthday Press Conference (2) About Empress and Princess Aiko

 About Empress and Princess Aiko


The parent article is here.

Press: Her Majesty the Empress has been attending to official duties with His Majesty while continuing her medical treatment. How is her recovery going? Your daughter, Princess Aiko, has turned 20. What did you think when you saw her at the coming-of-age events? Looking back over the past 20 years, please tell us about your most memorable memories, her current student life with its ongoing online classes, your hopes for the future, and your thoughts on her marriage as a father.

 

Emperor: Although it has been difficult for Masako to keep in shape due to the restrictions on her activities caused by the spread of the new coronavirus infection, she has been fortunate to be able to attend ceremonies in Tokyo, visit various places online, and give New Year's video messages together with us, while making various efforts. With regard to sericulture, last year we were able to engage in more work and I was happy to see that they were enjoying their work. I also believe that she is trying her best to adjust the rhythm of her official duties and life in her own way, despite the drastic changes in her living environment with the relocation to the Imperial Palace.

 

However, she is still in the process of recovering, and her physical condition varies, and she tends to be tired for a while after major events. I hope that she will continue to steadily accumulate the things she can do one by one without overworking herself. Masako is also an important person who supports me in my daily activities and is a good advisor to me both in private and public life. I would like to continue to help and support her as much as I can. I would like to express my gratitude once again to the people of Japan for their warmth and support, and I would be grateful if you would continue to warmly watch over Masako's recovery.

 

Last December, Aiko reached the age of majority. I'm sure there was a lot of nervousness as she presented her thoughts on the coming of age and the coming of age events. We were relieved that she was able to finish all the events without any problems. We were also deeply moved by the fact that before we knew it, we had reached the age of 20 years old and had joined the ranks of adults. As a parent, I am happy to know that Aiko is grateful for the help and support she receives from so many people on a daily basis.

 

As for memorable memories, I remember how happy I was to see Aiko grow up in her swimming class at school, when she could swim a short distance in the pool using a beat board when she was a little girl, and when she could swim a long distance of 3 km in the sea in Numazu, Shizuoka Prefecture, when she was in the middle school for girls. Also, I was glad to feel her growth when she visited Hiroshima on a school trip in junior high school, and was so shocked that she put her thoughts on peace into writing.

 

Aiko became a university student the year before last, but due to the effects of the new coronavirus infection, she has been attending classes online. as a sophomore, she has been busy giving presentations in her exercise classes and submitting assignments, but she has been working hard on her studies at the university.

 

When I look back on my university life, I realize that it has been about 40 years ago now, and I have met and taken classes with many different people, participated in after-school club activities together, and sat next to strangers in the student cafeteria. I think it was a series of new discoveries and experiences. In this sense, I hope that Aiko will be able to visit the campus someday after the infection has settled down, but I also hope that she will be able to have a fruitful student life no matter what environment she is in.

 

Aiko cherishes the time she spends with her family, and when she is with us, our happy gatherings are filled with laughter and fun. As I mentioned last year, I hope that Aiko will learn a great deal from various people, broaden her horizons and deepen her own thoughts as she accumulates various experiences. Also, as an adult member of the Imperial Family, I hope that she will fulfill each of her duties with great care, while maintaining a sense of compassion and gratitude. In the process, I would like to do all I can to help them in any way I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kei Komuro Listed at Major U.S. Law Firm :There are Also Allegations of Career Fraud

Kei Komuro Receives "JFK Award": a New Allegation of Career Fraud?

Kei Komuro's Mother Criminally Charged with Fraud

What is Kei Komuro's Debt Problem

Classmate Bullying by Komuro

US to Pay for Mako and Kei's Security in the US, Japan Reports

Reported Scandals: The Japanese Will Never Accept Komuro

Mako Komuro and Kei Attend Funeral of Mako's grandfather with Akishino Family

Kei Komuro Fails NY State Bar Exam?

Former fiancée of Kei Komuro's mother releases comments: "I've asked Kei to convey her own wishes..."