Full text of Emperor Naruhito's 62nd Birthday Press Conference (4)On 50th Anniversary of Okinawa's Return to Mainland Japan, Princess Aiko and Prince Hisahito

 On 50th Anniversary of Okinawa's Return to Mainland Japan, Princess Aiko and Prince Hisahito


The parent article is here.

 

Press: This year marks the 50th anniversary of Okinawa's reversion to the mainland. Your Majesty have made a number of visits and have continued to interact with the "small reporters".Please tell us about your memories of Okinawa and your thoughts on the history and people of Okinawa, which suffered a great deal of damage in the last World War.

 

Emperor: Since I was a child, I have heard many things about Okinawa from Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, who have deep feelings for Okinawa. My relationship with Okinawa as a child was based on my interactions with the Okinawan bean journalists in Karuizawa, where I spent every summer. It was a great opportunity for me as a child to learn about Okinawa. In the middle of the meeting, a student of the bean-counters demonstrated Okinawan karate forms, and I fondly remembered those days while watching the karate performance of Ryo Kiyuna, an Okinawan athlete who won the gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics last summer. At the end of the party, everyone sang the Okinawa folk songs "Tinsagunuka" and "Bashofu" together.

 

Also, since I was a child, I have offered a silent prayer every year on June 23, the Okinawa Memorial Day. The first time I visited Okinawa was during the Summer National Athletic Meet in 1987, and prior to that, I heard about the culture and history of Okinawa from Professor Morizen Sotoma and others, who were researchers of Okinawan studies. I think it was a great opportunity to deepen my understanding of Okinawa.

 

In Okinawa, we visited Himeyuri Tower and the war dead cemetery, and I remember how deeply I felt the pain of the war damage that Okinawa had suffered. After our marriage, I visited the Cornerstone of Peace with Masako, and we both renewed our feelings for all the people who died in the Battle of Okinawa. It was a pity that Shuri Castle, which had been an important symbol for the Okinawan people, was burned down, but I also have good memories of visiting historical sites such as Shuri Castle and Nakijin Castle Ruins, and watching Kumidori and Ryukyu dances at various times, which allowed me to experience the history and rich culture of Okinawa.

 

Okinawa was the scene of a tragic ground war during the last World War, and after being out from under the control of the Japanese government for about 27 years, it was reverted to Japan the day before the 50th anniversary of the war under the strong wishes of its people. During this time, until today, I believe that the people of Okinawa have overcome many hardships, and I believe that we should never forget this. This year marks the 50th anniversary of Okinawa's reversion to the mainland, and I myself would like to take a fresh look at the path that Okinawa has been on, and extend my heart to the land of Okinawa and the people of Okinawa. I also hope that many people will continue to learn about the history and culture of Okinawa and deepen their understanding of the island.

 

Press: You mentioned that Her Imperial Highness Princess Aiko became an adult member of the Imperial Family in the blink of an eye, but what were your honest impressions when you saw Her Imperial Highness Princess Aiko's beautiful appearance during the coming-of-age events at the Palace?

 

Emperor: As I mentioned earlier, I was deeply moved by the fact that Aiko, who was once a small child, has now turned 20 years old and has become an adult. I sincerely hoped that she would lead a truly happy life in the future.

 

Press: I was wondering if you could tell us a little more about Aiko's college life as you look back on it, but the other day it was announced that Prince Hisahito, the second in line of succession to the throne, has been accepted by Tsukuba University High School and is expected to go on to study there. During his high school years, he will reach the age of 18. What are your thoughts on this matter, and what are your expectations for His Majesty's future life as the heir to the throne, based on your own experience?

 

Emperor: Well, My high school days seem like a long time ago, and although the years have passed, I really enjoyed my three years in high school, meeting many people, making friends, and engaging in various activities. In that sense, I still fondly remember that I was able to spend three very fulfilling years. The other day, I received a report that Prince Hisahito's destination for higher education has been decided, and I sincerely hope that he will have a fruitful high school life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kei Komuro Listed at Major U.S. Law Firm :There are Also Allegations of Career Fraud

Kei Komuro Receives "JFK Award": a New Allegation of Career Fraud?

Kei Komuro's Mother Criminally Charged with Fraud

What is Kei Komuro's Debt Problem

Classmate Bullying by Komuro

US to Pay for Mako and Kei's Security in the US, Japan Reports

Reported Scandals: The Japanese Will Never Accept Komuro

Mako Komuro and Kei Attend Funeral of Mako's grandfather with Akishino Family

Kei Komuro Fails NY State Bar Exam?

Former fiancée of Kei Komuro's mother releases comments: "I've asked Kei to convey her own wishes..."