Full Text of HIH Princess Aiko’s Coming-of-age Press Conference

 




 

The full text of the press conference by Her Imperial Highness Princess Toshinomiya Aiko, the eldest daughter of Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, is as follows:

 

See parent article here.

 

Thoughts and Aspirations as an Adult Member of the Imperial Family

 

Press: How do you feel about your coming of age? Please tell us how you feel about your official duties and events as an adult member of the Imperial Family, as well as your future activities and aspirations.

 

Princess Aiko: Before I begin, I am deeply saddened to hear that some of you lost your lives in last night's earthquake. I would like to express my deepest sympathies to the bereaved families and those who have been affected by the disaster.

 

Now, I will answer your questions. I am very happy to have reached the age of 20 on December 1 of last year. Looking back over the fulfilling days, which seem to have passed so quickly and yet feel so long, I realize that all of my experiences to date have been made possible only with the support and cooperation of so many people. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of you who have supported me in various ways and warmly blessed my coming of age.

 

On the day of my birthday, I still did not really feel that I had reached the age of majority, but on the occasion of the December 5th coming-of-age ceremony, I was awarded the Order of Merit by His Majesty the Emperor, and when I wore it for the first time, I felt the weight of the order on my body, which made me tense up.

 

In the New Year, I attended the "New Year's Celebration Ceremony" for the first time as an adult member of the Imperial Family, and I also participated in several court rituals from the end of the year to the beginning of the New Year. It was a strange feeling, but it was a moment when I became aware that I was an adult member of the Imperial Family and that I had to approach each event with a sense of responsibility.

 

As for the future, I am still a university student, so for the time being I will have to give priority to my studies, but I will do my best to serve Their Majesties the Emperor and the other members of the Imperial Family to the best of my ability, taking care of each of my duties as I go along.

Strengths and Weaknesses, Hobbies and Interests

 

Press: Please share some specific episodes about your personality, strengths and weaknesses. Please tell us about your interests in daily life, hobbies, and national and international events that interest you.

 

Princess Aiko: My personality is often described as "calm" or "innocent" by friends and others. It is difficult for me to find my strengths, but since I was asked this question in advance, I thought long and hard about it, and if I had to choose one, I would say that I can sleep anywhere. I once visited the Imperial Villa in Nasu, Tochigi Prefecture, and on the night I arrived, I fell asleep on the sofa on the porch and went straight to sleep the next morning. As for my shortcomings, as you may have guessed from the episode, I grew up freely and openly, and I am aware that I have "a little bit of my own pace.” I have also been shy since I was a child, and I hope to work hard to overcome this problem.

 

I usually spend my time taking care of my creatures, listening to music and exercising when I have time. I have always loved physical exercise, so I sometimes go jogging around the grounds with my father, used to play tennis with my family of three, and now I sometimes play badminton or volleyball with the staff while wearing a mask, taking thorough measures to prevent infection with the new coronavirus infection.

 

In my daily life, I live in a lush green area, so I am interested in nature. Although I have not had enough time to explore the grounds since my relocation, I am very curious to know what kind of creatures live in the Imperial Palace and what kind of ecosystems are spread out there.

 

As for domestic and international concerns, I am concerned about the recent increase in the number of natural disasters and the gradual increase in their scale. In such circumstances, I was very impressed to see people working as volunteers in the affected areas on TV and other media, regardless of whether they live in the same city or not, and trying their best to help others. I have a close friend who is involved as a volunteer in Fukushima Prefecture, which was devastated by the Great East Japan Earthquake, and I myself am interested in volunteer activities such as disaster relief.

 

I also have the opportunity to see working animals such as guide dogs and hearing dogs at school-sponsored events and at animal forums, and as an animal lover, I am fascinated by them.

 

 

 

Parents and the Imperial Family

 

Press: What kind of parents are Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress to Princess Aiko? Please share your memories and daily conversations. How do you learn how to be a member of the Imperial Family from Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress and everyone else?

 

My parents are the most precious and indispensable people in my life, who are always there for me no matter what my situation is. They take pleasure in my joy as if it were their own, worries about me when I am in trouble as if it were their own, and gives me friendly advice. I am deeply grateful to them for all the love and care they have given me. When I talk with my parents, I am often surprised by their wealth of knowledge and experience, and I learn a lot from the way they think about things and treat people.

 

When I think of memories with my parents, the first thing that comes to mind is the trips we took during my long school vacations. We went to the Suzaki Imperial Villa in Shimoda City, Shizuoka Prefecture, and while swimming in the sea, we discovered a school of beautiful fish that we all admired. Also, although Susaki is a calm sea with almost no waves, I have memories of a challenge in which three of us sat on a surfboard and all of us fell. I could go on and on, but it would probably take all day.

 

As a family, we always talk about the events of the day. Recently, we watched the Beijing Olympics and Paralympics and talked about the games and shared our excitement. We were moved, hopeful, and encouraged by the athletes' dedication to their sport and their determination to enjoy the stage of their dreams to the fullest.

 

I also find the time I spend with my parents and interacting with our dogs and cats to be a comforting time for me. We will continue to cherish the time we spend together as a family, including our pets.

 

As to how I am learning how to be a member of the Imperial Family, I grew up watching Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress Emeritus, and other members of the Imperial Family approach the people and perform their official duties with sincerity. Through such experiences, I have come to recognize that the spirit of the Imperial Family, which His Majesty the Emperor Emeritus has often mentioned and which has been passed down to His Majesty the Emperor, is that the Imperial Family always wishes for the happiness of the people and fulfills its duties while sharing hardships and joys with the people.

 

One of the ways to "share the sufferings and joys with the people" seems to be to "continue to be mindful of the disaster-stricken areas," as I have seen the activities of the members of the Imperial Family. Last week, 11 years have passed since the Great East Japan Earthquake. Although the town seems to be gradually coming back to life, the whereabouts of more than 2,500 people are still unknown, and nearly 40,000 people are still missing. The situation is still very difficult for the people who are still living in evacuation shelters. It will not be easy to heal the emotional wounds of those affected by the disaster, and I imagine that it will take time. I hope that we can continue to think about the people who are going through such hardships.

 

Members of the Imperial Family are also deepening their own fields of interest, such as history, biology, children's literature, and various welfare activities. Each of them has their own area of expertise, and when I see how you apply your in-depth knowledge to their official work, I think it shows the significance of studying in such a position.

 

In addition, when I see the members of the Imperial Family at events, I would like to observe their manners and behavior at their side and try to follow their example so that I can be as close to them as possible.

 

 

University life and Future Career Path

 

Press: I would like to ask you about your life at the university. What fields of study are you interested in and how have you been affected by the new coronavirus? What are your dreams and goals for your future career path, such as studying abroad or entering graduate school?

 

Princess Aiko: I am currently enrolled in the Department of Japanese Language and Literature in the Faculty of Letters at Gakushuin University. In the second year of this department, there are two courses: Japanese Language and Japanese Literature and Japanese Language Education. In the Japanese Language and Literature course, students study a wide range of basic topics related to the Japanese language, such as the roots of the Japanese language and its grammar. In Japanese Literature, on the other hand, students study various literature from the Heian period to the early Showa period, and read travelogues from a folkloristic point of view.

 

Although I am still searching for my field of interest, I continue to have an interest in classical literature, including works of literature and stories from the Heian period, such as "The Tale of Genji" which I have been interested in for a long time.

 

I am sure that many school personnel, teachers, and students have been dealing with school life through trial and error, feeling inconvenienced in various aspects due to the spread of the new coronavirus infection over the past two years. I, too, have just completed my second year of college, and from the standpoint of infection prevention, I usually do not attend college and take all my courses online. Gakushuin University has resumed face-to-face classes in some subjects, but I am grateful that I am able to continue my studies thanks to the consideration of my professors, who are using a hybrid format that allows students to take classes both face-to-face and online at the same time. I am very happy to be here. I hope that the spread of the new type of coronavirus infection will be brought under control as soon as possible, and that after such a severe situation settles down, a future in which everyone can lead a meaningful school life in an environment with as little anxiety as possible awaits them.

 

Finally, as for my future career path, at this point I have not yet finalized my thoughts, and I hope to make a decision as I expand my knowledge and deepen my interests through my future university life.

 

Views on Marriage and Mako Komuro

 

Press: What are your thoughts on your own marriage? Please tell us about your ideal timing and partner image, if any. How did you perceive the circumstances of Mako Komuro's marriage?

 

Marriage seems a long way off for me, and I have never thought about it. As for my ideal partner, I don't have a specific one in mind, but I think that a relationship in which we can be together and make each other smile would be ideal.

Regarding the circumstances of Mako's marriage, I have heard that it was the decision of His Majesty the Emperor and His Imperial Highness Prince Akishino not to hold the Asami Ceremony and the Nasai Ceremony, so I will refrain from making any comments.

 

Mako is 10 years older than me, so when I can remember, she was already like a dependable older sister to me. She had lived on the same property with me since I was born, and I have fond memories of playing with her in the Akasaka garden, and of our occasional happy conversations and games. I am grateful that she was always as cheerful and kind to me as ever since I was a child, and as her cousin, I wish her a long and happy life.

 

(Related Question)

 

 

What Aiko want to say to her parents

 

Press: Earlier, you introduced some amusing episodes in your relationship with Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, such as your gratitude for their loving nurturing by them. Also, you may know that when you were born, the Empress said, "Thank you for being born." Now that you have reached the age of 20, are there any words that you would like to convey to Their Majesties?

 

Princess Aiko: I would like to refrain from giving you their specific words, but my parents were always there for me no matter what my situation was, and when I faced a problem, they took it seriously and gave me their opinions, thoughts, and ideas. I feel that they gave me sound advice while respecting my opinions, thought and feelings. And the great love and encouragement I received from my parents supported me at such times.

 

As for your question about what words you would like to say to your parents, I would like to say, "Thank you for giving birth," to my mother's words, "Thank you for being born.

 

I would also like to thank my parents for the various opportunities they have given me, for the warmth and love they have shown me as I have grown up, and for the support they have given me in my life, for which I am deeply grateful. I would also like to say, "Please continue to take good care of yourself. I would also like to add, "Please continue to take care of yourself and may we spend many more years together. That is all.

 

Thoughts on Peace and Ukraine

 

Press: Princess Aiko, in your junior high school graduation essay, you wrote a letter of hope for world peace, and I was one of those who were very much impressed by it.

 

Princess Aiko: Thank you.

 

Press: The current situation in Ukraine is becoming increasingly tense, and many Ukrainians are being forced to make sacrifices and are facing the threat of nuclear weapons.

 

Princess Aiko: Yes, that is correct. I am very saddened by the loss of so many precious lives in Ukraine. The current international situation is very severe, but I would like to convey to you the same words that His Majesty the Emperor said at his birthday press conference as they are, so let me look at my notes. At his birthday press conference, he expressed his wish that "various tensions still exist between countries, but I hope that people-to-people exchanges will lead to a peaceful world where people recognize each other beyond the boundaries of countries and regions," and I share these sentiments.

 

I visited Hiroshima when I was in the third grade of junior high school and visited the Atomic Bomb Dome and the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, and I still clearly remember the horrific sight I saw at that time that made me want to cover my eyes. At that time, I was reminded of the preciousness of peace, and I still have a strong desire for peace. That is all.

 

Preparation for the Conference and Advice from Parents

 

Press: We have had the new coronavirus, the situation in Ukraine, and last night's earthquake. Under these circumstances, what were the most important points in your preparation for today's press conference? Also, what advice, if any, did Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress give you?

 

Princess Aiko: I prepared for each of the questions I was asked in advance with the aim of conveying my thoughts in my own words in as concrete a manner as possible so that everyone would know what I was thinking. In preparing for this presentation, I received advice from my parents, such as, “It would be better if I worded this a little more this way.” I also received advice from my parents, His Majesty the Emperor, Her Majesty the Empress, based on their own experiences at those press conferences, such as, "If you do it this way, it will ease your nerves a little," and I think I am now putting some of that advice into practice. That is all.

 

 

Press: If you don't mind me asking, what would ease your nerve?

 

Princess Aiko: My father told me that the secret is to look each person in the face and make eye contact while speaking with the intention of conveying your message. There are other things, too, and I have learned a lot about them. That is all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kei Komuro Listed at Major U.S. Law Firm :There are Also Allegations of Career Fraud

Kei Komuro Receives "JFK Award": a New Allegation of Career Fraud?

Kei Komuro's Mother Criminally Charged with Fraud

What is Kei Komuro's Debt Problem

Classmate Bullying by Komuro

Mako Komuro and Kei Attend Funeral of Mako's grandfather with Akishino Family

US to Pay for Mako and Kei's Security in the US, Japan Reports

Reported Scandals: The Japanese Will Never Accept Komuro

Kei Komuro Fails NY State Bar Exam?

Former fiancée of Kei Komuro's mother releases comments: "I've asked Kei to convey her own wishes..."